Monday, 13 October 2014

Playday yesterday

We had our monthly playday yesterday and the theme was Tim Holtz Luminarys.  I only decided on this one because Kelly said she had the die and hadn't used it... so she was supposed to be in charge of the "class".  Kelly was a bad girl and didn't make any samples. didn't even have a go to tell us what we needed to bring!!  Thankfully Sandra also had the die and sent it up with Kay..Kay made a couple of samples and warned us all it was a fiddly bugger to make up!

 Normally I've made so many of whatever we're doing as samples that I sit and chat at playday instead of crafting.  Seeing as I've never used the die I decided I'd join in and make the days project...

Bit of a nightmare to photo.. it's wet, grey and windy in Bristol and if I turned on the daylight lamps it made the colours look bright and shiny.  irl colour are sort of in between both pics, a bit of a rusty aubergine colour with splashes of dirty orange & purple lol.

I started with very strong kraft card and dipped it into splodges of concord and persimon distress paint that had been sprinkled with black brusho.   Once dry I added black soot distress ink and stamped one of Dyan Reavelys web stamps in black archival.  The center panels are black vellum with one of Dyans spider stamps.  A few plastic spiders attached to the lid with hot glue and I used the tip of the glue gun to pull lots of strands of glue to make cobweb threads.

I'll probably make a few more of these because I found them very quick and easy to make.. even taking into account that I chatted until 11ish then had to cut pieces for a couple of friends.. mix the paint, clear up the spill from not having one of the daubers tightened properly, wait for the paint to dry enough to use the glue, assemble and decorate I was still finished by lunchtime! 

Top tips for making them again though..

thin card is easier to fold & glue
and if you do add paint to the card before assembling make sure it's totally 100% bone dry.. card holds moisture you can't see even when it's touch dry and it makes gluing a problem!

I could go mad entering it into dozens of challenges seeing as Halloween is a hugely popular theme this month (I wonder why lol) but I've chosen just 2.

cutitup challenge blog, Halloween and anything but a card.  Rules say not to forget to use a diecut.. hope this counts because it's nowt but diecuts lol.

and the StampingBoutique Challenge Blog which has a theme of outside the box.

3 comments:

Ab Fab Designs said...

Fab darling loveing this soooo much ,alot of work but the Results are great
Hugs xx

Cut It Up Challenge Blog said...

Fantastic! I bet it looks really spooky with an electric candle in it!

Thank you for joining us for our Halloween - Anything but a Card challenge at Cut it Up! (yes, it counts!!)

Evelyn
http://mylittlecraftblog.wordpress.com

Furrbster said...

This is a brilliant idea - love the glue gun webs!

Hugz Tinz