Saturday, 23 August 2014

Another mirror

 We're doing altered mirrors at the next playday so I need to make plenty of different technique samples (that's my excuse lol)

This one was painted with copper and orange acrylic paint before being coated with pva glue and while still wet a coat of white acrylic tinted with turquoise brusho paint.  (If you zoom in at the crackle you can see where the brusho has reacted slightly differently than the white paint and it gives a bright shadow around the crackle and where over metallic paint it's got a high sheen).

Stamped images courtesy of Chocolate Baroque stamped with archival inks and coloured with distress ink.
 The lighthouse was made using an old american traditional stencil that I enlarged by about 4, then hand cut and coloured with more distress inks.  There's burlap and gold cord twisted behind the lighthouse, I think I could do to tuck a bit more in though as when I added the lighthouse it nearly got lost.  Shells cut by hand (from same Chocolate Baroque set), a few pearls & a glass vial (which is casting a large shadow)

And here's the finished piece.  I did have an omg I've totally ruined it moment when the mirror was just stamped on and I added the lighthouse but the shells seem to have pulled it all together.  Dead chuffed with this one although if I were making another I'd have just stamped images direct to the mirror as the brusho & acrylic mix took the ink far better than I thought it would.

No comments: